In the media, there’s often a lot of focus on homely, often feminine interior décor. Far less attention is given to homes that are bold, geometric and unabashedly masculine in style.
Whether you’re a man living alone in the city, or a female who happens to love this strong, uncompromising look, here are some tips on how to use bespoke fabric to create the ultimate ‘bachelor’ home.
Using tailor-made fabrics to create a uniquely ‘masculine’ look
- Combine fabrics with simple materials. When using fabric prints, it’s important to keep everything else simple. For example, when you’re investing in a coffee table, choose something made of wood or metal, with strong, straight lines. Anything too complex or detailed will take away from the impact of the fabric.
- Keep colours simple. When you’re buying a lively, eye-catching fabric print, the last thing you need is for there to be clashing colours in the room. This doesn’t mean you have to go neutral or monochromatic; but if you’re choosing bold colours, stick to just one or two at the max – or risk the space looking like someone threw a children’s paint box over it!
- Refer to the mid-century. A great reference point for the ultimate bachelor pad is mid-century design. If you’re not sure what this is, watch an episode of Mad Men. The era was defined by its sleek, geometric furniture, its polished wood, and its air of decadence. If you go for this look, a built-in bar for cocktail-making is an obligatory feature.
- Don’t spurn floral. Flowers are frequently associated with femininity. This is an outdated concept – even some of the world’s most masculine fragrances (like Creed Aventus, for example), feature floral notes like rose and jasmine. Some flowery prints are incredibly bold and striking and can be used to inject a more natural atmosphere into the room (or a more tropical vibe, depending on your tastes).
- Introduce leather and wood. Leather is a classic ‘macho’ material, and few things are more decadent than an antique leather sofa, or a chic black leather headboard for your bed. Some custom-printed cushions immediately bring a leather armchair to life, and the same applies for your bedding – fabric prints and leather often work in fabulous harmony with one another.
- Be luxurious. Bachelor pads are all about living the high life. There should be no compromise when it comes to injecting opulence in the space. You’ve probably got a lot of hard lines and sleek surfaces, so add a sense of luxe by incorporating some softer furnishings. Curtains should be heavyweight. Bedding should be chic, original and perhaps come with a sheepskin rug or cashmere throw. Make these elements textural, and ultra-indulgent in appearance.
- Refer to the world of fashion. If you’re not sure which bespoke printed materials to work with, the best thing to do is start browsing the male catwalks. See what the designers are clothing their models in – this will give you a great idea of what’s in fashion at the moment. For example, summer 2019 is definitely all about wild splashes of colour, acid notes, and African-inspired prints.
- Play with lines. When choosing fabric patterns for your soft furnishings, consider strong, uncompromising lines. There’s something about linear designs that exudes authority and masculinity, and the best thing is, the line-pattern can be echoed in other features of the room; for example, in dining table legs, or in the rug on the floor.
- Don’t forget the outdoor space. Your outdoor area can benefit from bespoke fabrics too. It doesn’t matter if you’ve got a small balcony or a large garden, you can still create an al fresco dining area, complete with tailor-made cushions. This works especially well if you use the patterned fabric inside too, as it creates a sense of flow between the outside and indoors.
- Look for one-of-a-kind pieces. As well as your bespoke fabrics, which are sure to be a talking point, search for furniture that’s completely unique. Antique shops are a great place to start or look for artisan furniture-makers, who can create something to match your designs. Unusual artwork is another great way to establish the property as being uniquely yours.
View our selection of Bespoke Designs
More Information On Bespoke Designs to order.
Create the ultimate Bachelor Pad.